Saturday, October 6, 2007

Growing a Grassroots Economy

I feel encouraged since the energies have shifted, relieved, too, of feeling so held back. It's as if the time is finally right. I have been doing this intensive study (my MO) and training--and I do see some ways change can happen -- will happen -- and, definitely, in our lifetime. It's happening NOW! And we do have the opportunity to be directing that change towards a design that benefits us all. It's helped me to make a clear commitment--and move forward past the point of no return--it's scary as hell, but once you do it, it's very freeing--very energizing! I feel myself moving towards my destiny. Guess I better be ready, huh?

I think corporate power will be limited because the financial system is going to fail--it's waaay out of balance--and oil energy is not going to be available to run it even if it could remain stable. I believe the current system is in its final throes and going out kicking and screaming--and trying to drag us all along. But even if we find a place of safety for weathering the storm, no place will be safe from the failure of the system to function--to supply everyone with what we need to live.

I believe we need to start forming local economies and ways to live much differently than we do now. We need to be prepared to survive and thrive if the system should shut down suddenly. I'm not suggesting the end of the world scenario, just that there will be massive change, and it's uncertain at this point how rough/primitive it might get before it can be reconstructed/reformed into a new economy. I guess that depends on how successful we are in gathering people into cooperation before it gets really bad.

Anyway, I'm for building strong a grassroots group who can build a relationship economy--one that can work together, hope together, feel pride in what we are doing together--and let it grow from us--be a cell in a growing organism of new economy, new governance. Yes, this is the idealist and the cynic speaking out of one mouth, here! :-) It can be done if we do it!


"In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility — I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it — and the glow from that fire can truly light the world." -- John F. Kennedy

1 comment:

yours truly said...

We can all start by considering how to work, trade, consume, volunteer and be of general service in and to our own communities. I know a man who gave up his car and walks or uses public transport solely. Pretty hard to do in my neck of the woods, which is a fairly rural peninsula, though Seattle's just a short ferry ride away. But I do consider what would happen in the advent of some catastrophe ... or system failure. Depending on technology alone, such as the Internet, could be fatal for some small businesses! I can see how important it could be to grow a network very close to home.